Smoked Chicken Stock
Now that you’ve taken the time to smoke a whole roaster chicken, you should reward yourself with this simple, yet tasty chicken stock.
- 1 chicken carcass (see our Smoked Roaster Chicken recipe)
- 2 carrots, peeled and rough chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3-4 quarts of water
- Place the chicken carcass and all the vegetables into an oven-proof stockpot (one that is completely metal will work).
- Add enough water to cover the carcass.
- Bring to a boil on the stove top.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 4 hours.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely (overnight).
- Strain the stock through a cheesecloth and refrigerate.
- Once it has cooled completely in the fridge a thin layer of fat may develop on top. Carefully scoop this off and discard.
The stock that you’re left with will have a delightful smoky flavor. It is perfect for any recipe that calls for stock, and can be used as a substitue for wine or water in other soup or sauce recipes. Your imagination is the limit here.